Friday, June 17, 2011

The Excitements - Some Raves on the Hottest Rhythm & Soul act 'round the globe, hands down!!!

Barcelona has the good fortune to swagger proudly that this period have both the best football/soccer team and the best band around! And there are more to these Excitements guys (and gal!) in resemblance with the city's first football squad! Both subject-matters are tight, dance-stomping, funky, hard-edged at times and with tons of SOUL! Forget Sharon Jones and the Daptones, forget Raphael Saadiq (btw, I really can’t see the reason why people are raving about him, but anyway...) and forget in the end any other so-called “new funk-soul” act (yes, even the very sympathetic Eli ‘Paperboy’ Reed). And you know, sometimes all these ‘filing’ sites like Facebook or Myspace do something worthy except for ‘connecting people’ (do you really believe this?…). The Excitements came to my attention on the same day and from two different directions. First was Eric Ratb0y asking me about them and secondly their Myspace page. And then WHOA!  Some google search and credit card disburse later, their brand new release (first long play on Penniman – btw great name for a label guys) was about to come in my hands some days later. I’m still trying to catch their two already sold out 7-inchers but I’m sure in a way or another I’m gonna make ‘em mine sooner or later. And they 're sounding like a band from my favorite music era/style. Somewhere when tough R&B started to involve into what later christened as ‘soul’! Imagine the Wheelsville/Premium/D-Town house bands (if they ever such bands existed ) crossing paths with Little Richard’s Upsetters having Tina in her prime and primitive (with a large amount of Sugar Pie DeSanto added powder), scream and shout on a mic! Yeeeeaaahhhh THAT GOOD, people! I mean, who else in year 2011 choose to cover a softer moment of Little Richard (“Never Gonna Let You Go”) or super cool floor burners in the likes of The Falcons, Barbara Stephens, Jimmy Dee or Nelson Sanders (kudos guys for pickin’ up on one of my VERY fave R&B stormers! – “This Love Is Here To Stay”). Don’t try finding something else; this combo’s the hottest shit around… And Koko’s a Goddess!
PS: This album produced by the mighty hands and dirty genius of Mr. Mike Mariconda (The Raunch Hands, The A-Bones), "Fuck the Mummies" indeed!

Buy some Excitement Here!



I Want To Be Loved
Fat Back
Love Is Here To Stay


3 comments:

  1. She and the band are the Real Thing, I was mesmerized when my mate played me the album ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice musiC!
    rosenalva@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bought the lp last week.
    great record...hope to see em live soon

    ReplyDelete