Monday, October 11, 2010

Solomon Burke - "Proud Mary/What Am I Living For" (Bell, 1969)

That was it. One by one nip out of this world. The last two years, Bo Diddley, Eddie Bo, King Coleman and today Solomon Burke (among sadly, many others) died and as much as a cliché this might sound, let us live with unoriginal and boring white or black cuties/hotties that pretend they “play” R&B... King Solomon’s gone for good. Get it? King Solomon’s gone…
Do I really need to say something for this MAN? C’mon I’m not in the mood and OK, if you don’t know, sorry but I don’t have the stomach this very moment to tell you who this man is. I’m not saying was, cause men like Solomon of course never die. How did the MC5 put it? A TRUE TESTIMONIAL!  Yeh, Solon Burke was that. Pick on whatever recording he made, to start or finish your journey on he's magical SOUL world. From the Atlantic label, to Bell and lately Fat Possum, King Solomon delivered the goods. All I have to say is that I’m terribly sad… And all I have to offer, is this 1969 Bell two-sider. Of course it's the same "Proud Mary" as this by Creedence Clearwater Revival or Ike & Tina. I'm not going to claim that this is thee best version of them all, even though i believe it's at least CCR's equal, but for sure got one thing...SOUL! "Cry To Me" King Solomon.
320 Kbps





2 comments: